The Christmas season seems to fly by every year and before we all know it – the big day is here. No matter how early I try to prepare for the holidays, I always fall behind on all the creative things I meant to do. Build a gingerbread house, bake cookies for coworkers, write out Christmas cards…it’s all a bit too much!
This year, I’ve managed to get at least one Christmas craft in so I’ll count this as a mega win. I found the time to decorate my own Christmas gift bags and let me tell you, it felt pretty festive. This craft is so simple and so much fun because you get to unleash your creativity and go a little wild with the decorating. You can get out the glitter, stickers, bows, and construction paper and feel like a kindergartener again.
I’m not a fan of crafts that require too much planning or precision – and I promise you this one’s easy. So grab a glass of eggnog, turn on those Christmas carols and decorate to your hearts content.
To Make Christmas Gift Bags You’ll Need:
- Brown paper bags to decorate (I found mine from the dollar store)
- A glue gun (also found at the dollar store)
- Construction paper
- Some Ribbon
- String to attach a gift tag
- Anything else you want to stick on your bag – sequins, stickers, Christmas bows etc.
- Lay your paper bag down in front of you and decide on a colour theme. For a festive look, incorporate red, green, silver and gold.
- Choose a sheet of construction paper in the colour of your choice and cut it to fit the bag. Glue the coloured paper in place with a gluestick.
- Choose some Christmas ribbon and measure it to fit on top of the construction paper. Use a glue gun to stick the ribbon onto the bag.
- Now that you have your base, you can add whatever decorations you like and press them on with a glue gun. I recommend laying out your design ideas before glueing them on.
- Lastly, tie a homemade gift tag around the handle! My tags were made using construction paper in two different colours (folded over for thickness). I used a hole punch to make a hole in the tags and attached them with simple bracelet string to the gift bag handles.
If you want to learn how to make your own bows out of ribbon, here’s the simple YouTube tutorial that I followed to make this blue one!
I hope you found this DIY helpful! It’s totally up to you to decorate your gift bags however you like and have fun with it. A specialized gift bag adds a personal touch to your gifts. And you’ll look totally crafty when you show up to a friend’s house with a homemade gift bag!
Happy holidays 🙂